"All our words are but crumbs that fall down from the feast of the mind."
Khalil Gibran

Monday, May 10, 2010

Mother's Day

Today was my 13th Mother's Day.....WOW, can that even be right?  I guess so.  I had a wonderful day and was even able to spend some time with my Mom which was great.  My Mom had a bowling tournament here in town and we were able to have a sweet breakfast together with my Son and Fiance and then I was able to show her my wedding dress and we were also able to travel out to the location the wedding will be held.  It was a quick trip but a great visit!

I was thinking today about how blessed I am....for the most part I know on a regular basis that my son appreciates me.  The older he gets the less frequent and verbose his verbal reminders are, but his constant willingness to help me when I need something, his almost impeccable record of getting the door for me, and his tender heart towards me (most the time...he is 13) remind me daily that I am so abundantly blessed to be a Mom!  And I know not all Moms can say this but I am able to look in my son's face and literally see myself, he has many similar features.....this never stops amazing me. 

I almost shake my head as I think back to when I was a young teen myself and I used to tell people that I was never having kids....I just wanted to have a good job and get married.  One day my loving Grandma, who was so full of wisdom, told me that this may seem like a good idea now but I could not even comprehend what I would be missing out on if I never had children.  And she said that one of the things I would miss was the chance to be a Grandma like her.  It did make a bit of sense at the time but it didn't really sink in until I was quite a bit older.  I remember visiting my Grandma and Grandpa years later when they lived in a senior community and my Grandma would point out the men and women who didn't have kids or family....they were so lonely and would often tell my Grandparents how lucky they were (at that time they had 3 kids, 6 grand-kids, and 4 great-grand-kids). 

I can't even imagine who I would be or how different my life would look if I wasn't a Mom.....I wouldn't want to miss out on it for anything!  My Grandma knew the amazing way that I would feel when I first set eyes on my precious child and she knew that loving and raising him would give my life a purpose like never before!  Thanks Grandma for being so smart!

All of this lengthy story is just my way of saying that I love being a Mom!  Yes, even with a teenager!  He is the light of my life and I feel so privileged that God chose this boy to be my son.  I pray every day that God will grant me the wisdom, courage, and strength to be the Mom that He made me to be.

Kudos to all the Mom's out there who are reading this and Congratulations to all the Mom's to be....I can't wait for you to experience Motherhood for yourself.  What a blessing it is to be a Mom (whether biologically or adoptive....a Mother is far more than similar DNA)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share what you think about this post, or let us know what you would like to hear about in the future.